Nutanix Acropolis Review

Market leader that is cheaper than VMware

What is our primary use case?

We are looking at Acropolis only as a comparison to VMware. We want to determine what it offers better than VMware, in terms of features, as well as how we can position it to integrate to a VMware environment.

What is most valuable?

I haven't been there to test everything, but I have been to the Nutanix presentation two weeks back on Nutanix cloud. The cloud features an in-site offering, which I found to be very interesting.

What needs improvement?

There could be better support for high power ESX and other cross-platform applications. A major feature in Nutanix is that it should be able to move from AHV to BFX.

I would like to see an improved interface. I think Dell EMC is going to launch ClarityNow to address this.

We've been using Acropolis for maybe two to three months.

In terms of stability, Nutanix is a good product.

In terms of scalability, I think that it is good that it works with many clusters, which is not the same as other vendors, for which there is a limitation in terms of the clusters.

For the time being, we don't have many users. We're still in development; we did not put it on the production environment yet. We are still busy in the testing phase. Once they are all done with the test, they will be concerned with what the stakeholders want in any condition. The process will be quick and we'll have about 100 people using it for internal purposes first. Then we will back up our server to the cloud. At that point, we can expand to 1,000 or so users.

We only need one or two people to deploy and maintain this solution.

I didn't contact technical support much, but what I hear is good.

The initial setup was straightforward, not complex. We followed all their guides, and you just have to go through them and install them. The initial deployment took less than half a day.

I don't think I know. I think it's cheaper than VMware in terms of cost.

VMware is already in the market and we have been using VMware first. Now Nutanix just emerged as the leader. That's why we are comparing them.

What other advice do I have?

My advice is to go for Nutanix because it is the way the market is going. Nutanix is becoming the leader in the market. Also, Nutanix offers far more software features than other products. You will not need much effort to understand the product. It's very simple to work with.

I would rate this solution as nine out of ten. I can't give it a full ten yet since we are not fully inside.