Nutanix Acropolis Review

Helps us to install hardware and taught us how to deploy with a reset

What is our primary use case?

We started using Nutanix recently. I'm working here in Muscat, Oman and I take care of a complete data center, the managing, security, and maintenance. We deployed Nutanix recently with the help of Entech. Entech is the main vendor here in Muscat. In that setup, we are using the VMA 6.5 as well as 6. The primary use is for node clusters. We are reviewing the Nutanix servers now.

How has it helped my organization?

We use Nutanix Acropolis to look after the cluster, the migration, etc. and run the data center. We have around 300 users here using it.

We deployed a basic setup, then afterward one-by-one, we re-migrated the servers.

Only four people are needed to deploy Nutanix Acropolis and maintain it. I'm the main keeper for maintaining the original deployment and everything I must do.

At a cost level, it compared well with the other vendors. Nutanix is very costly compared to others, even HP but, it works very well.

We recommend Nutanix to the management because of scalability and time efficiency. These advantages aim at the next level of relationship for our current management, then we'll decide on future deployments.

What is most valuable?

Nutanix helped us to install hardware and taught us how to deploy with a reset. We learned how to install the Nutanix OS, and run a network.

What needs improvement?

The storage and back-up facilities could be improved. The storage and recording back-up for updates where we can maintain the data server and handle an insurance company.

We need day-to-day encrypting of the database. We're purchasing Acropolis and Veritas. That is a big headache. We are using Nutanix for backup and storage purposes. That is now going well in terms of storage and backup.

The cloud base is an extra feature. It should be the standard. Nutanix Cloud is not that helpful for us.

We have been using Nutanix Acropolis around two years.

The stability is good. It's time efficient compared to Dell and HP servers. Compared to those companies the stability is very good.

Once you start the server, use the boot manual for very user-friendly options.

The main scalability is time-efficiency. If you are conserving your data, this kind of scalability and performance is very good.

For technical support, we're not in contact with them. We get the information online. You can search to get to the solution.

Before we were using Mascot. Then we started with Nutanix.

The initial setup is straightforward and not complex. It is easy. It's the firewall only. Initial deployment takes less time. We have around four data centers here.

Starting up takes around two days, plan for an extra day per data center.

The vendors, Entech, gave very good training to us. I did that one myself.

We evaluated many solutions but finally went with this one. We went with Dell. That is a portable device. We found this one to be better.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend Nutanix Acropolis. We are a national insurance company here. We require scalability. Nutanix is very good at whatever the scale is. There are no headaches. You can boot-up other servers, all in one.

On a scale from one to ten, I would rate Nutanix Acropolis a nine. I would go to 10, but many features are not perfect.