Nutanix AHV Review

Good data protection, straightforward to install, and good technical support

What is our primary use case?

We are a system integrator and this is one of the solutions that we provide to our customers.

Many of our customers use this solution for virtualization, although it is also used for VDI.

Some customers use this solution for data protection, using two Nutanix clusters.

We have experience with on-premises deployment models.

How has it helped my organization?

We run one cluster ourselves, and we use it to provide data recovery for our customers.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of this solution is simplicity. I like the simplicity in converting clusters into Nutanix AHV or migrating other infrastructures. It's really simple and effective and makes the transition easier.

The data protection is good.

What needs improvement?

This solution would benefit from the inclusion of an option for visualization of shared media in a graphical fashion.

I am waiting for a better implementation of Nutanix 3 because I like VDI.

I would like the ability to move the virtual machine to a storage container. Also, we would like to be able to implement storage-saving features like deduplication and compression.

I would like the ability to pass USB devices directly through to the VM. One of our customers has asked for this, and at this time it is not possible. I don't want to go out of support by implementing this myself.

We have been using this solution for about four years.

This is a stable product that is reliable, and people are beginning to accept it and like it.

Scalability is simple and straightforward. You just connect more. I had a bad experience with one of the previous versions, 5.5.8, but I was able to solve the problem using the command line interface. In general, we scale this solution all of the time.

We have three or four technicians who use this solution in my company.

I have been in contact with technical support a lot, and it is one of the best that I have ever seen. For some reason, it has changed slightly for the worse lately, but it is still incredible support.

I also use VMware, which I like for different reasons.

I find the installation to be really simple, although I have had a lot of experience this past year. If I have problems with internationalization then it's really easy to solve the problem.

The whole process is done in forty-five minutes to one hour if you create a cluster. There are problems that come up, but you can fix them in ten or fifteen minutes. Both the procedure and the problem-solving are simple.

I performed the deployment myself. I did ask for help when I ran into problems that I could not solve. I may not have had to, but I wanted to be careful to make sure that I didn't break the cluster or the installation. Mostly, I am able to do it myself.

What other advice do I have?

In the past two years, sixty-percent or even more of my implementations have been this solution. I expect to deploy Nutanix 3 for VDI for the first time, shortly.

One of the problems I find is that the customer is not using the most recent version of Nutanix Discovery. However, in general, the solution makes our customers' lives easier.

This is absolutely a solution that I recommend. It can be adapted to most use cases in IT. To me, it seems that it really simplifies things for the customer.

This is a good solution, but I'm sure that it will improve a lot in the future.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

More Nutanix AHV reviews from users
...who compared it with VMware vSphere