Nutanix AHV Review

Open-source virtualization that works with Linux and the installation is easy

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is for virtualization.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is that it is open-source. Also, the customization for Linux VMs is good.

It has a vs switch for the people who know Linux, in case it's easier for them to use AHV than it is to use VMware.

What needs improvement?

VMware has a vSphere client GUI and currently, AHV is command line only.

AHV is easy for people who are administrators of Linux and Unix, but it's not easy for a normal user who connects using a web interface.

There is no web interface with AHV. It would be great if they could provide a web interface.

There is no dashboard, it works only with Nutanix Prism.

I come from the world of Unix and the only thing that customer is asking for is the web interface.

I have been using Nutanix AHV since 2015.

It's a stable solution.

Nutanix is very scalable, you can go to unlimited nodes.

The initial setup is easy and straightforward. You click and you install.

With one click it installs all, including AHV and all of the Nutanix software.

There is an Excel spreadsheet where you put the IP addresses, then you go to the Nutanix installer GUI, click, wait an hour and everything is up.

AHV is free, it's an open-source solution.

What other advice do I have?

We use many solutions with Nutanix. We use Nutanix AHV, Nutanix CVM, Nutanix Calm, and more.

For normal users, they need a web interface, but for users who are more experienced this solution is the best.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

More Nutanix AHV reviews from users
...who compared it with VMware vSphere
1 Comment

author avatarSteffen Hornung
Top 5LeaderboardReal User

Sorry, but AHV is just a free hypervisor choice with Nutanix. Otherwise show me how you would install AHV apart from AOS (AOS is the OS of the Controller VM Nutanix uses)!I bet you meant one can omit ESXi licensing which is true.But to be open source the source code would have to be published, which it is not. See https://www.nutanix.com/opensource/disclosure. You can clearly see that AHV uses open source components but itself it is not open source.