Nutanix Clusters Review

Adds flexibility between on-premises and cloud-based servers, with good technical support

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and Nutanix Clusters is one of the products that we sell to our customers. We deal primarily with architectural products that include physical servers, networking, and storage. It is mostly on the hardware side.

Nutanix Clusters is for customers that want to go to the cloud, but they have applications that can't be moved. By implementing Clusters, we can move most of the applications back and forth between the cloud an on-premises.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is having the full features of my Nutanix on-premises applications in the cloud. It gives more flexibility with the ability to create storage pools and share it between my physical servers and my cloud servers. Since I'm running it all on Nutanix, I don't have any data excise fees.

What needs improvement?

The biggest weakness with Clusters at this point is that the adoption rate is low because customers don't know enough about it. We are just starting to get engaged with this product.

It has to be priced aggressively because it needs to make sense for customers to migrate to it.

Nutanix Clusters was just announced last week, so I don't have much experience yet.

Although it is too early to tell for sure, if it is anything like Nutanix ALS on the hardware then it is very, very stable.

It's extremely scalable.

Nutanix tech support is one of the best in the industry.

The setup is not any more complex than a typical cloud implementation. You really need to pay attention to where you put your compute resources, how you handle high availability, and things like that.

The licensing costs depend on what you need and how it is sized. I am working on one configuration that is priced at $50,000 USD, whereas another one that I'm working on is estimated to cost $250,000 USD. It really depends on the customer's environment.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is considering Nutanix Clusters is to get a professional to help you with it.

I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
Find out what your peers are saying about Nutanix, NetApp, Amazon and others in Cloud Migration. Updated: February 2021.
465,623 professionals have used our research since 2012.