Nutanix Prism Pro Review

The File feature enables us to share files without a server and it can replicate the changes by using a built-in replication tool

What is our primary use case?

We had large testing VM servers environment on Cisco UCS with Nimble storage, and we have a large Dev environment on Azure. We have a hard time monitoring and managing both environments. And we end up paying lots of money for both. After talking to Nutanix, we ordered 8 nodes, setup and we migrated most of our Dev/Test VM servers back from Azure back in-house. We use Prism to manage all of them from single point of view, have overall picture of our whole environment. The dashboard is the best spot we check and keep it on our screen every day.

How has it helped my organization?

We had a test VM environment on Cisco UCS and Dev environment on Azure. From time to time, we need to transfer a large amount of data from one to another. And we have to spin up a different set of test/dev environment, which was challenging. We had many struggles with VM updates and configuration synch up. Since migrating to Nutanix, we have a single virtual platform for both test and Dev virtual environment. It's easy to transfer data and synch up the change and manage/monitor from a single point. Backup is much easier too.

What is most valuable?

• Update management for all nodes, which included in it and it is straightforward and visual upgrade processes.
  • Calm is another good feature we are looking at to use the playbook to manage all VMs. We are likely to give a trial on that.
  • File is a cool feature that allows you to share files like windows server but actually without a server and it can replicate the changes by using a build-in replication tool. I can snapshot the shared data and the user can restore the files by themselves if needed, which saves lots of effort of SD.

What needs improvement?

I still remember it was a struggle when we configured the initial network setup, that part was a little bit confusing about how exactly it works, we have two different Nutanix technicians who were on-site to help on the configuration. But both of them could not get right the first time, and we had to reset and start over again on both systems. Even after that, I was still a little bit confused about the virtual network and how each item was configured to work. I would think why do not have a single virtual IP and webpage to guide on that, or sort of wizard to guide through it.

I have been using Nutanix Prism Pro for two years.

It is a very easy and stable solution, we have not had any issues.

It is very easy to scale out, you can just keep adding node to have more capacity, and mange from the same prism.

Support is good. But we do not use them much.

We used Cisco UCS with Nimble storage which was over the capacity, then we got some VMs on the Azure, which we have to manage separately. So we moved everything to 8 nodes Nutanix and manage from a single point.

The setup is straightforward. Only the initial network setup is a little bit confusing.

We deployed mostly in house, but we have help from Nutanix engineer. They are very good.

The ROI is better than what we have on Azure and UCS.

The set cost is very minimal, the Nutanix pricing is good too. The file licensing should be bound into the system already.

Yes, because the UCS is close to end of life, we tried to move to Azure, but the cost skyrocketed.

More Nutanix Prism Pro reviews from users
Learn what your peers think about Nutanix Prism Pro. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
534,226 professionals have used our research since 2012.