Nutanix Review

I am now able to quickly configure a Cluster in minutes but if you do the design without appropriate cooling you will have stability issues.

Valuable Features:

1. Ease of administration
  2. Monitoring and alerting features through Prism Web UI
  3. Acceleration of non-persistent VDI through the shadow clone feature
  4. Localization of I/O makes boot and login storms a thing of the past

Improvements to My Organization:

Rather than spend valuable consulting days setting up a SAN and carving out LUNs, setting up the hosts, etc., I am now able to quickly configure a Nutanix Cluster in minutes. I use the majority of my consulting time fine tuning the VDI and SBC deployment’s performance and policies which is the most valuable to the client.

Use of Solution:

I've been using Nutanix VCP NOS for two years.

Deployment Issues:

On one particular deployment, I found two issues with hardware; a bad disk drive, and a bad motherboard. Luckily, Nutanix support contacted me because they received the alerts at the same time I did and we were able to triage and replace the defective hardware prior to the roll-out.

Stability Issues:

Something to consider when designing Rackspace for Nutanix blocks, and other SuperMicro server hardware, is that you are effectively adding four computer nodes into a 2U space. When you stack multiple blocks together in a rack, the density of heat is considerable when compared to typical server hardware in the very same amount of space. If you do the design without appropriate cooling, yes, you will have issues with stability.

Scalability Issues:

Quite the opposite, really, this is the first time when scalability is not an issue. Adding another Nutanix node to a Cluster adds storage, memory and compute very easily. Nutanix scales very linearly, like some other converged solutions. Because it scales so linearly, it is important to choose your Nutanix model wisely so that you scale appropriately for the workload you are throwing at it.

Customer service is fantastic.

Previous Solutions:

Prior to Nutanix, we, like everyone else, pieced together our solution using HP Proliant servers, and NetApp SAN storage. Between ordering, qualifying, unboxing, setup and configuration, the amount of time required to get the client up and running was huge. We had to have experts on shared storage and networking; a lot of time was spent doing tasks that didn’t directly translate into value for our clients. Switching to Nutanix flipped the value proposition around, and suddenly one technical person qualified in Nutanix was all that was needed. Our time to deployment was much faster, and both ours and our client’s costs went down.

Initial Setup:

Setup is very straightforward. Once racked and cabled, all I need is an IPv6 capable machine with a web browser. The Nutanix wizard guides me through the setup and configuration of the cluster in minutes.

Implementation Team:

I am the consultant providing the services.

Other Advice:

If you decide to deploy Nutanix in your organization, choose the team wisely. We were fortunate to have our own CTO, Mark Knouse, be awarded the NTC title. As Nutanix aggressively adds new features and ways to buy into the platform, and the Nutanix community grows, having a trusted team with NTCs that works directly with Nutanix with ensure your deployment is a success.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Premier Partner with Nutanix.