Nutanix Review

Has a simple interface and is easy to deploy

What is our primary use case?

I had a customer that was a bank. The bank needed to deploy eight nodes at one site and eight nodes at another. Nutanix was great. We consolidated the whole infrastructure because they had heard about the solution and they bought it straight off the top, and they believed in it.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature would be the ease of deployment. That is the most significant feature for me because I've worked with multiple vendors and it's always been very complicated to install the software and get everything running. It has better software to get everything up and running.

It has a simple interface.

What needs improvement?

They should lower the price. If they did they would fall into a more competitive market because the price does scare a lot of potential customers away when they get the quote. Otherwise, I never had to call tech support. I actually met up with one of their consultants just three days before I went for deployment. It was the very first time I'd actually tested the software, and that was enough for me to go to the site and get all the work done.

There's one area in which they should make the software simpler with the deployment. If they can make it just a few steps easier, it will be unbeatable. I'm technically experienced so it was simple, but others who aren't as experienced might struggle. If they can simplify the software slightly for the installation, that would make all the difference.

We have been using Nutanix since last November.

Stability is unquestionable, it's seamless. It's 100% uptime.

The way this device can continue scaling is mind-blowing. I did 1/50th of what it can grow up to and the fact that it can do compression and has all of this amazing software, you don't need it to scale that high. You can just quote for a small solution and it will be significant, which is where they enter the market.

We haven't had any issues that required technical support but I would say that the technical resource who taught us the software and told us how to plug it in and how to install it was amazing. He knew absolutely everything. He had an answer for every question.

The initial setup was very straightforward. I've only been in enterprise as a technical consultant and presales for eight years, which is not so much time relative to a lot of people. The initial setup was simple for me. I never ran into anything that was too complicated. I didn't spend that much time learning the software. I just decoded twice with one of the representatives and that was as much as I needed.

They gave one week to deploy to allow enough leeway for complications, delay and whatsoever. I was finished in three business days. That goes from unboxing each and every device, racking, inspecting and setting it up to walking out of your environment and telling the customer they can take over.

We only require two staff members for the deployment and maintenance, a technical colleague and me.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise someone considering this solution to go with it. We deal with multiple vendors. We're actually partners with a lot of vendors. Most of the enterprise vendors are in the top 10 but I'll say that this is the best that I've worked with.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.