ObserveIT Review
The ability to record user activity on a Unix X Server would be nice. All in all a good solution.

Valuable Features

It is the best enterprise product that captures user activity. Its main advantage over its competitors is the way it records data. The most valuable features are the user recording, the textual log audit, and the ability to integrate with SIEM and ticketing systems.

Improvements to My Organization

All my clients are very pleased with this product as it helps them to keep track of what partners and employees are doing on the servers. Some of them are using ObserveIT to monitor the user activity on virtual desktops.

Room for Improvement

It would be nice to record user activity on Unix X Server.

Use of Solution

I have two years experience of implementation of ObserveIT at six clients in Romania.

Until now we didn't have any issues with deployment reported. Most issues are related to the prerequisites not being installed.

This product is very stable. Some clients have version 5.6 and don't want to upgrade to a newer version because this version satisfies all their needs.

I didn't have any big scalability issue on production systems. I had some problems with an instance of ObserveIT in a Proof of Concept, when I installed ObserveIT with an SQL Express instance and the DB used all provisioned space. The solution was to use the DB to store metadata and keep the recordings on the file system.

We didn't use ObserveIT support too much, as we didn’t have problems with the product. We have used them only when we had an exotic environment, and we had some SSL agent integration problems.

The technical support is rated at 10/10 from my point of view.

ObserveIT was the first solution of its kind that I have used.

The initial setup is straightforward. As a beginner you can use the OneClick install, and read the logs to see where the problems are.

Implementation Team

I have implemented this solution as an IT Consultant to clients. In our personal environment we have only used it for a Proof of Concept.

Other Advice

Always check the prerequisites, and provision the requested space for the storage or DB

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Implementing ObserveIT to more than 6 clients.
1 visitor found this review helpful