Observer GigaStor Review

Industry-leading line rates, packet-capture technology and data-mining capabilities are valuable.

How has it helped my organization?

It has helped us to carry out root-cause analysis. So, now, there is no more finger-pointing because packets don’t lie.

What is most valuable?

Industry-leading line rates, packet-capture technology and data-mining capabilities are the most valuable features. In addition, their layer 4-7 analysis is a valuable asset to our organization.

What needs improvement?

The reporting functionality is good, but it could be even better. The APEX interface has been completely reworked and they thought of the engineer/analyst when writing it. There are some issues, in our environment that puts processing restraints on the Gigastor when turning on trending data to be sent to APEX. Adding online training resources would make this solution even better.

Even though we have encountered the occasional hard-drive failure in some of our GigaStors, stability has not been an issue for us.

The technical support is very responsive and knowledgeable.

We did not use a different solution before purchasing this one.

There was some level of complexity in configuring the GigaStors, as with any product that stores an organization's top-x application traffic. How easy and fast that data can be analyzed for root-cause analysis can mean countless hours or minutes on a troubleshooting call.

It can be a difficult task to determine how much data you will be sending to the GigaStor, i.e., not only top-x level but also in terms of management-level traffic.

We looked at the OPNET AppResponse Xpert solution.

What other advice do I have?

We monitor top-x applications and management traffic, i.e., DNS, SNMP traffic, etc., since the management traffic can be used for root-cause analysis.