Observer GigaStor Review
Provides long term capture and analysis capabilities.

How has it helped my organization?

Enables us to go back in time to capture an issue and analyze it for a solution. This after the fact analysis is key to overcoming the "bump in the night" issues.

What is most valuable?

Provides long term capture and analysis capabilities.

What needs improvement?

• The Observer Console UI is consistent and stable, but could use some updating to be more modern.
  • There’s a web-based packet extraction interface that was recently added, but I’d like to see more web-based capabilities added so that the Observer client isn’t needed so much.
  • Their first generation Observer Reporting Server was a dawg, but Observer Apex is a much better reporting solution that is easier to use. Application Dependency Mapping is valuable, but needs to be more automated.

The product continues to evolve to overcome areas of concerns.

There were no issues with stability.

The product is very scalable.

I would give customer service a rating of 9/10.

I would give technical support a rating of 9/10.

We used another solution and the cost of storage was the determining factor to switch to this solution.

The setup was very straightforward.

We used our in-house team to deploy it.

I did not deal with financing.

It was competitive on pricing and licensing.

We evaluated NetScout and Network General.

What other advice do I have?

I have been working with the Observer-GigaStor platform since 2006 and experienced some stability issues the first few years under Network Instruments. When Viavi released their Gen2 platform, we saw major improvements in the GigaStor Expandable platform. Their 144T unit handled 20Gbps consistently from your monitoring fabric. We recently upgraded to the new Gen3 GigaStor system because our growth demands required the new 40Gbps write to disk capability.

Use it in conjunction with a SDN monitoring fabric.

1 visitor found this review helpful