Okta Customer Identity Review

Offers seamless connection for users; great multifactor authentication

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution as a platform for identity and multifactor authentication of the entire platform which is integrated with the active directory so cell phones can be used for multifactor authentication. We have multiple domains and two segregated businesses. We onboard third party applications to Okta and users that need specific applications. The two groups have access to the 11 applications that they need.

What is most valuable?

The key feature of the solution is the multifactor authentication itself. The app provides a seamless way for users from anywhere to be able to connect. It also offers risk intelligence in terms of track analytics which can determine suspicious log-ons and lock them, preventing breaches.

What needs improvement?

There are sometimes issues with the voice authentication methods when users receive calls and they're not able to get the verification codes. That needs to be improved. A troubleshooting dashboard would be helpful in terms of pinpointing issues as opposed to running a search query switch.

I've been using this solution for three years.

In general, stability is good, although occasionally we do encounter issues and need to log a call with Okta support in order to resolve the problem.

This solution is very scalable. We have about 15,000 users globally and several different domains. The solution also provides for cross domain functionality. We've adopted this solution 100%.

Initial technical support is not very responsive, it's only after escalation that we get proper support.

We primarily deployed the Okta servers in the on-prem environment and then we integrate them with our IT Directory. From the Okta side, they configure the kit and perform the  configurations and the IQ. Deployment is quite straightforward. We had around 15 people helping with deployment, some from governance and the others from the our identity and security team. The entire implementation took around six months for our 15,000 users.

What other advice do I have?

It's important to have a good plan in place, identify your needs and make sure you have a good integrator.

I rate this solution a nine out of 10.

Find out what your peers are saying about Okta, SecureAuth, Akamai and others in Customer Identity and Access Management. Updated: September 2021.
535,544 professionals have used our research since 2012.