Okta Review

Provides easy-to-use self-service password reset as well as SSO and MFA

What is our primary use case?

We use Okta for single sign-on (SSO) of multiple applications, access management, and multi-factor authentication (MFA).

How has it helped my organization?

Prior to implementing Okta for our environment, we had our users (15,000-plus) contact the Service Desk to reset their passwords if forgotten or they were locked out. Even though we had a self-service password reset solution in place, it was not user-friendly and effective. Particularly, in the case of a lockout, you could not log in to the computer to use the self-service solution and had no other option than to call the Service Desk team.

However, once we implemented the self-service password reset (SSPR) through Okta, we directed the users to use it themselves and everyone found it easy. Also, Okta, being a cloud-based web solution, you can log in from anywhere, anytime with a device that has internet access. It became a simple process and, obviously, the number of calls to the Service Desk came down drastically, reducing our man-hours and cutting costs. This was a big money saver, which was much appreciated by our clients.

What is most valuable?

The Single Sign-On and MFA features are most valuable.

What needs improvement?

The Identity Management part can be improved a bit.

Three to five years.

No issues with stability.

No issues with scalability.

I would give tech support a 10 out of 10. They are really awesome. Even for a free/demo account, if you raise a case they are very fast to respond and their support options are excellent.

CA SiteMinder. Our client decided to switch to a cloud-based IAM solution instead of an on-prem solution.

Setup is not at all complicated. It is as simple as watching the instruction videos for setup and then doing it yourself.

Pricing might be high, but it comes down when the number of people using the product goes up. Check Okta's website for exact pricing or contact their sales team for exact figures.

We did evaluate SailPoint, SecureAuth, and ForgeRock and finally decided to go with Okta because of its user-friendly environment, high stability, and ease of implementation.

What other advice do I have?

If you are not concerned by the cost and are looking for a secure IAM solution with great stability and excellent support, then go for it.