Okta Review
Enables us to automate provisioning and deprovisioning of accounts

What is our primary use case?

We use Okta primarily for user-provisioning and as an SSO portal for access to our applications.

How has it helped my organization?

Our organization has a fairly high turnover rate so having an automated process for provisioning and de-provisioning of accounts saves a lot of time from an administration perspective.

What is most valuable?

The feature that is most valuable to me is the automated user provisioning that we set up using Okta as a major part of that process. We put the process in to save time and increase accuracy in the user-provisioning process. Most everything is driven from our HR system thereby limiting manual input and duplication of work when provisioning accounts. Accounts are disabled as soon as the account is terminated in the HR system.

What needs improvement?

We still had to write several internal programs/scripts to complete the user-provisioning process. Okta does not have the ability to provision mailbox accounts for on-premise Exchange or in a hybrid O365 environment. The Group Push function from Okta to AD did not work reliably in our environment.

Three to five years.

What other advice do I have?

In terms of rating Okta, it is always hard for me to say, as I have not used any other product to perform the functions we use Okta for, so I really don’t have a comparison. There are some things that Okta does very well – SSO being one of those so for that part I would rate it as a nine or 10 out of 10. For the provisioning part, we did have several issues that we have to work through, so for that aspect, I would rate it somewhere around a six to eight out of 10.