Okta Review

The Multi-Factor Authentication capability lets you address one of the biggest challenges around security, to make it hard for adversaries to get into your systems.

What is our primary use case?

• Supporting SaaS implementations from corporate login.
  • I'm a consultant and have worked with Okta at two clients. Both had started to leverage Okta for single sign-on to SaaS services and internal systems. One was more advanced, the other was only doing limited federation and not taking advantage of the power of Okta.

How has it helped my organization?

Okta improved both organizations where I've worked with it:

• Better Single Sign-On (reducing the number of passwords)
  • Improved accountability (to know what users were doing, and where they were working on Identity and authentication services)
  • Authentication (where Okta's own MFA solutions or work in combination with Duo were very useful for strengthening the security of major systems)

What is most valuable?

Okta's great for their federation capabilities where it lets the IT team enable business with anyone using common federation features across SaaS, PaaS, IaaS, and internal applications. The Multi-Factor Authentication capability lets you address one of the biggest challenges around security - MFA to make it hard for adversaries to get into your systems.

What needs improvement?

Better multi-factor authentication integration and support, it's around v2.0 and will need a 3.0 release for maturity.

Less than one year.