Okta Workforce Identity Review

Good product with ease of deployment, ease of use, speed of delivery, and easy integration with other software

What is our primary use case?

It has got a big network of apps that easily integrate into it, making deployments a lot faster than traditional identity platforms. So, the use case will be companies that are looking to be on a cloud journey for cloud adoption strategies. It also suits companies that have on-premise applications and would like to make them web-based, essentially, access them on one portal. Thus, allowing companies to ensure that they can pretty easily manage access to these applications by their users.

What is most valuable?

The ease of deployment, ease of use, and speed of delivery is what I like about Okta Workforce Identity.

It is very easy to use. For a lot of software, you need to be trained extensively and have a very technical background. Okta Workforce Identity is quite simple.

You can integrate any software into Okta. They've got a network of 7,000 applications that easily integrate into it.

What needs improvement?

It would be pricing, which is a tough one because it goes against Microsoft. A lot of companies say they're a Microsoft partner, and they get all their software for free.

Okta is like a luxury product, and it's not the most affordable one. I would say if they could work on pricing, it would help. Other than that, they've done great strides in developing a product that is really good. The companies that do see the value tend to invest in it.

I have been using this solution for the last two years.

They're really great stability-wise. The last year they've had like 99.9% uptime. They're really good for SLAs and things like that.

Scalability is probably one of its best attributes.

They're pretty good. I know they're a big organization, and they have a lot of clients. So, it's a place where they're always looking to improve, but from my side, it's been really good.

It's pretty straightforward. If you need it, you get great support from Okta as well.

They provide a lot of datasheet information and step-by-step ways to deploy the solution. They're doing really well on this front.

For deployment, right now, it's me and one more person. If we need any additional support, we get it locally in South Africa from a distributor who has a technical team skilled in Okta. Whenever I need more support, I go to them or directly to Okta, or the client can pay yearly fees for additional support if they need it.

It could be a bit too pricey for small companies. Okta Workforce Identity can add a lot of benefits, but smaller companies may not have a lot of applications that need to be managed by Okta Workforce Identity. In larger organizations, there are more departments, applications, and users to manage. Okta Workforce Identity adds a bit more value to those bigger organizations.

In addition to standard licensing fees, there are also additional costs for things like additional support and so on.

What other advice do I have?

Okta Workforce Identity can be suitable for smaller companies, whereas Okta Workforce Identity is suitable for a bit bigger companies, but they serve different purposes.

Essentially, Okta Workforce Identity is for medium and large companies. I would say for companies with at least 50 users, but then these companies should really see the value in Okta Workforce Identity. I guess when you start talking about 200 employees upwards, that's where Okta Workforce Identity really starts creating a lot of value.

Okta has recently created a business value assessment. Those who are starting the process and looking into Okta must be open-minded to the value assessment with the Okta team or with the person at the company that is selling the solution to them. Just be patient, see the value, and not be so caught up in thinking that Microsoft is a great product. I think Okta is way better.

I would, a hundred percent, recommend Okta than Microsoft. Essentially, Microsoft wants you to stay within their stack, whereas Okta is neutral. You can integrate any software into Okta or any application, whereas Microsoft takes a bit longer, or they may not support the integration and so forth.

I would rate Okta Workforce Identity a nine out of ten.

Private Cloud