OpenLegacy Review

Opens the door to connect modern web products to an old legacy system

What is our primary use case?

OpenLegacy is used anytime we need to send data from a modern web application into our iSeries legacy system. At this point, we are still developing the web applications to feed OpenLegacy.

Our first use case is entering freight data into our legacy system. With OpenLegacy, we will be able to use a modern web form which is easy for our employees at the freight dock to use, and get data into our legacy system.

How has it helped my organization?

OpenLegacy opens the door to connect modern web products to our old legacy system. Before OpenLegacy, we would either transition our entire system (a huge undertaking) or do painful workarounds to allow for innovative web products to send data back into our system of record.

What is most valuable?

Ease of deployment. OpenLegacy produces a war file which includes everything you need to deploy a Tomcat server.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see SSL out-of-the-box. OpenLegacy certainly does SSL, but it was not the default for our use case. We are currently working with OpenLegacy to cross the SSL bridge and suspect that most users will want to do the same.

Less than one year.