OpenNebula Review

User management, expert management, and the virtual data center are magic for the users

What is our primary use case?

OpenNebula has better simplicity than vRA. It is designed perfectly for the end-user. OpenNebula has many features for the end-user in the private cloud and you can convert into the public web with some development. It's very user-friendly and very easy to use. We use it to provide the private cloud enterprise data center.

How has it helped my organization?

It has enabled us to decrease the optics by around 55 to 60%. We can do automation for all the aspects of the data center. It gives more control to the whole organization, like marketing and technical departments with the ESP and admin layer. These are completely divided and we can manage our finance budget at the beginning of the year.

What is most valuable?

For the entire data center, as a private cloud, I believe that user management, expert management, and the virtual data center are completely magic for the users.

What needs improvement?

They should add more features like object storage. They should improve some management feature for the storage, for example, they should put third party staff. The integration features should also be improved but I believe they are working on it.

They should add HDM and HDS features.

We have been using this solution for more than a year and a half.

It is stable.

We have around 1,200 users using this solution. This solution is used daily.

I haven't had to contact their technical support yet.

We previously used OpenStack. It's good for the services provider but not the cloud. OpenStack could be used for a data center. vRA is really good and better than OpenNebula but the license is really expensive.

The initial setup was straightforward. The integration took around three weeks. The finalization takes three days between the security tests. The entire process will take less than one month.

My team and I deployed the solution ourselves. The deployment required four staff members.

vRA is very expensive but OpenNebula is free.

It's free. You only need to pay for technical support but we can't use it anyway because of sanctions.

What other advice do I have?

It's really easy to use. If you already have infrastructure based on VMware and you don't want to pay for the license you should use OpenNebula but if you do have the budget you should use vRA.

I would rate it between seven or eight out of ten. If they add certain features I would rate it a nine.