OpenShift Review
The CI and CD are fast, easy, and secure​.

What is most valuable?

The CI and CD are fast, easy, and secure. Customers need this product and Red Hat certifies it on the RH product. The container customization with S2I is problematic.

How has it helped my organization?

In a couple of months, we can move from physical infrastructure to a container. There is no need to worry about service, since Red Hat does it for us. Consequently, we can focus on development.

What needs improvement?

I think that container development needs to be improved. The source 2 image is very comfortable, but it is not documented. There are no precise guidelines from RH. The source 2 image is the biggest addition that Red Hat gives to Kubernetes, but you cannot depend on Red Hat for every customization.

I have used this solution for 1 year.

The product is stable, but it must be well designed.

I have not encountered any big issues with scalability, but the application must be designed for scalability.

In Europe, support is not as fast as it needs to be. If you follow Red Hat's guidelines when designing the architecture, it has a very difficult blocking situation (you must be skilled on the OpenShift product before putting it into production...as usual!).

I prefer Kubernetes. But customers need very good support from developers, which Kubernetes do not have.

The initial setup was not straightforward. You must understand every single component. Only then is everything clear and goes fast. Teaching developers how to implement the application with new methodology is problematic.

I think OpenShift PREMIERE costs a lot more, compared to the support given in Europe. If you buy directly from the service on the cloud, the level of support is not the same.

In order to understand OpenShift, you must try Docker. Afterwards, you must understand orchestrators like Kubernetes (the OpenShift underground) and Swarm. You must work with developers. I also implemented Jenkies and Nexus in order to attain full, real automation.

What other advice do I have?

It is a very good product. But before implementing it, verify that the product matches your expectations. Remember that the product changes very quickly, so read news as often as you can! This is not the only solution, so be ready to work with it. But this solution was selected by Red Hat.