OpenShift Review

"Over almost four years, the product has evolved from a basic PaaS to a full-fledged PaaS and Private Cloud solution."

What is most valuable?

The use of creating environments (Development, Staging, and Production) using easy to use PaaS dashboard, and through the use of RHC.

It has a simple yet powerful way of managing environments, without many governance issues.

How has it helped my organization?

The product has helped kick off applications for developers at speed. New joiners can just start using the platform, without bothering to set up an application stack and/or server stack on their local laptop.

It has also helped us ship products at ease, using the Docker and Kubernetes platform, which forms the basis of RedHat OpenShift 3.

What needs improvement?

Scaling has a few defects, such as not scaling up at threshold values. This needs improvement. Also, require little more integration perspective, such as Service Desk integration and Source Code/CI integration.

I rated the solution as an eight out of 10 for two reasons:

1. Autoscaling issues. It does not increase in a seamless manner. Sometimes, CPU utilization/Memory utilization exceeds and the application just hangs or gets into HeapSpace or OutOfMemory error.
  2. Sizing. Maintaining the number of pods at scale.

I've used this solution since 2013. Over almost four years, the product has evolved from a basic PaaS to a full-fledged PaaS and Private Cloud solution (with OpenShift 3)

Yes, as specified in areas for improvement answer.

It's good. Community support is also good. Easy to deal with.

Yes, we used IBM SoftLayer and we were not happy with it. Another solution that we are using is AWS, and we are pretty happy with it.

The initial setup was straightforward; not complex.

Pricing is good in comparison with AWS. The enterprise pricing is also competitive and is specifically fine-tuned to the type of environments we have.

IBM SoftLayer.

What other advice do I have?

It's a solid solution if you are looking for a perfect enterprise-level PaaS. AWS is a better solution if you are looking for IaaS.