OpenShift Review

Valuable features include continuous integration between different technologies and Single Sign-On

What is most valuable?

• Continuous integration between different technologies
  • Single Sign-On
  • Security enhanced
  • Easy deployment and follow-up of entire pipeline process

How has it helped my organization?

We connected Jenkins as the main build operator with API calls to the OpenShift Pipeline. It is amazing the amount of time saved. You can see the logs of pipeline process on Jenkins and follow it in real-time or by notifications if something goes wrong. We used Slack for build notifications as well.

What needs improvement?

• Build
  • Deployment
  • Product delivery

These areas would save time for the entire team.

We have used this solution for one year so far. We have been following all the improvements on the tool since the launch.

There were only deployment problems on my end, but I did have to reconstruct pipelines.

There were no stability issues.

There were no scalability issues, but only some Docker issues.

Customer service is perfect.

Not available.

I started using another technology, whose name I don't recall. The goal of OpenShift is to make things easier by connecting all tools in one switch.

The first installations were tricky. There were some bugs and workarounds, but it was never hard.

Newer versions were smoother and the problems no longer exist.

The first implementation was done on my own, where I was learning, testing, and exploring. All the documentation is updated on their website.

The ROI is in terms of productivity and saving time. I can't measure how much money I saved by using this technology, but know for sure that the money was well invested.

Go for it. Red Hat is professional on solutions.

I tried Rancher and other similar technologies, but their goals weren't the same as mine.

What other advice do I have?

Try using OpenShift Origin (free version) for a instance. It is pretty stable and has new nice features. The code is on GitHub, so you can always suggest improvements and bug fixes.