OpenShift Review

I love to automate everything and OpenShift was been born to do so

What is our primary use case?

OpenShift is a primary tool in my daily work and in the project I have been working on in recent years – TV streaming services used widely in the U.S. and outside. OpenShift is used for intensive DevOps and running pieces of the project adhering to the microservices architecture. The project's architecture includes physical servers in tens of datacenters. OpenShift plays a central role in developing, testing, and running specific software.

How has it helped my organization?

Our small team developed and rolled out everything to production in a short time, mostly thanks to OpenShift. It saves time. Using it, I just work on integrating services without worrying about containers and whatever is needed for them. OpenShift is a tool that does a lot of work for you. You just need to invest some time learning it.

What is most valuable?

OpenShift helps by doing a lot of work for us. I love to automate everything and OpenShift was been born to do so. It takes care of the network layer itself and I don't need to dive into it; I can work on a top level. Our project has numerous services designed to run in Docker containers, and we have run almost all pieces of our TV services in OpenShift.

What needs improvement?

I think that OpenShift has too many commands for running services from the CLI, and the configuration files are a little complicated. This scares newbies from learning it. I hope that the OpenShift developers will improve this "dark side" of OpenShift.

OpenShift has been running for the past three years, since the project started. We were developing the project's architecture, trying different solutions. In the end, we chose OpenShift as a well-known and intensively developed software, with many really useful features.