OpenVINO Review

Fast, reduces the required processing power, and easy to manage

What is our primary use case?

I used OpenVINO for my deep learning solutions. I was working on some traffic management problems and had to detect pedestrians, cars, and some accidents via traffic videos. So, I used OpenVINO to implement my deep learning solutions to some servers.

The OpenVINO software was on the local machine where we use the software. I used the OpenVINO hardware Mustang-V100-MX8, which includes eight Myriad Cores. I used OpenVINO software with these cards.

We had two people focusing on OpenVINO. My colleague was dealing with communication about the project. He was communicating with Intel and other project partners about our problems, and I was focusing on the implementation of the system.

What is most valuable?

It reduces the required processing power on the CPU and GPU. With OpenVINO, you can run your main software on CPU, but don't require a huge amount of processor power. It is faster, and you have plenty of more resources for other jobs.

It is easy to manage the software with OpenVINO. You can change the number of models or Myriad cores. Management is easy without touching the software.

What needs improvement?

Their resolution time for certain kinds of issues could be better. I had a problem during the implementation, and it took them two or three months to resolve it. I wasted so much time. If it is a simple problem or implementation issue, they will provide the answers and solve it quickly, but if there are some problems with the product, it can take time.

I have used OpenVINO from the beginning of 2019 to July 2020. I used it for one and a half years.

We implemented the device almost seven months ago in my previous company. As far as I know, they have no problem with the stability of the device.

It was easy to get technical support, but sometimes the people who gave support had problems with the issues. It was a new product, so there were a lot of problems. We could communicate easily, but the response took time. I had to wait two or three months for the resolution. I was reading their reports over and over. I also did everything they suggested and tried different things. In two or three months, they released a new version of it and finally fixed the issue.

We have implemented other deep learning solutions, but we didn't use any software like OpenVINO. I have also worked on Google Edge TPU, but I don't have too much experience with it. I have just tried some implementations on it, but I don't have enough information to compare.

The initial setup was complex. I came across a problem, and I had followed some simple solutions, but then I had to wait for Intel to solve this problem, which took three months. The physical deployment of the server takes about one month.

Specifically for our products, it was costly to use OpenVINO hardware. This was because we This was because we had reduced the CPU number, but we didn't reduce it too much. Therefore, the cost was more with OpenVINO, but the efficiency was also much higher. We didn't have any problems with CPU usage or memory usage. OpenVINO really helped us with these issues.

What other advice do I have?

Reading the documents is really helpful, and there are multiple people who use the software and share their quotes, ideas, and documentation. It really helps in understanding how to implement. If there are any questions, you can also use Intel's forums. The community is growing, which is really helpful for implementation issues.

By using this solution, I have learned to not change the version too frequently. When I was implementing OpenVINO, a new version come out, and I updated the version, but the code was incompatible. So, I had to change things. One or two months later, a new version came, and I had to change all over again. I learned that I need some stability in the version.

I would rate OpenVINO an eight out of ten for now. After two years or so, I would probably give it nine or ten. I believe they will change lots of things, and it will be one of the main products in the market.

2020
Learn what your peers think about OpenVINO. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2021.
457,459 professionals have used our research since 2012.