OpenVPN Review

Two-factor authentication allows us to not force frequent password changes

How has it helped my organization?

It allows us to give access to our office network in a safe and secure way to users, no matter which computing platform they use.

What is most valuable?

1. Easy to set up.
  2. Clients for multiple platforms
  3. It runs on Linux.
  4. It allows for two-factor authentication.

This makes it very easy to administer if it is running on a Linux server where you can do everything over CLI or a web-based interface. Some software only has clients for MAC and Windows, which is annoying. Two-factor authentication allows us to not force frequent password changes.

What needs improvement?

There was one annoying feature where we had to disable and enable the user. I cannot remember what it was exactly, but I think it was for a password lockout. It would be nice if there was a checkbox, or something, in the web interface to allow you to unlock a user whose password was locked.

No issues. It is solid as a rock.

Never.

I do not think we ever had to use technical support. I mainly found answers on the web forums.

It was already set up when I got there.

However, I have set up OpenVPN elsewhere. The initial setup is very straightforward as long as you understand something about the way the OS works, and how the networking and certificates work.

Not applicable.

What other advice do I have?

It is good stuff.