OpenVPN Review

Allows us to see and use the new Citrix server as a local server within the company

What is our primary use case?

This was a test bed in which to use a virtualized Citrix server to be connected with the downtown Tacoma site. We needed that to be able to not only access the local network over there, but also to use thin clients there to virtualize the work stations on our test location.

How has it helped my organization?

It allows us to actually use the Citrix server, just that simple.

What is most valuable?

A valuable feature for us is its ability to see the new Citrix server as a local server within the company.

And it allows us to test abroad. We have a couple other sites that we want to try to get people to remote into. Having that feature really helped.

What needs improvement?

The user interface that we had to implement. I would like to see a simpler interface, so that we can make the connection between the local network using the LAN IP.

Also, I would be more happy with the idea of licensing to have a reduced price with longer, grouped, annual fees. We have a lot of other software that does the same thing. It's a little higher price if you're going with a shorter stint, but there's a reduction in price for three- and five-year contracts.

Less than one year.

It's been more of a hardware issue with us. The VPN has been working fine, but on our side, where our test bed is, we've just been trying to get it fine-tuned. But, no, OpenVPN hasn't had any problems.

Not yet.

It's been pretty good. We only had one question when we were first implementing it. My crew and I were answered very quickly. The technical support was responsive.

We didn't have a previous solution. We had done a little research and we went with OpenVPN as the first option. It wasn't that we went through several before it.

It was pretty straightforward. We've seen terrible things with Citrix, so nothing compared to that.

I would say the product's pricing is a good value. I would recommend to other companies to implement it. I've seen other software, in tandem with the service, to be very expensive.

We were attempting to do a closed VPN between the two sites, but it really doesn't work with the local IPs that we wanted people's Citrix agents to be able to get in. We wanted it to emulate the IP of it being local because eventually we were going to move the Citrix server to the Tacoma site.

What other advice do I have?

Do your homework, and make sure that your test site where you're going to be setting this up has a good, solid connection with your ISP. That was the issue we ran into. We actually had to get our ISP out here to fix the modem that we were having issues with.