Operations Bridge Review

Whether it's a server, network, application, or resource, issue, it emphasizes it and gives you tools to troubleshoot and resolve it.

Valuable Features

Operations Bridge is a solution that will bring together a lot of various operation data sources from the network server's applications and help the customer to focus in one area, one place, so they can escalate and route the issue to the proper resource for particular incidents. I've applied that type of software for various customers.

Improvements to My Organization

It optimizes their operations efficiency, and makes people more focused on the issue at hand instead of trying to figure out what's going on. It gives them an up-to-date status. If there's an issue in the IT system - whether it's a server, network, application, or resource issue – the product emphasizes it and gives you tools to troubleshoot and resolve it.

Room for Improvement

I think they are moving toward the whole platform format. They need to move away from Java, Flash, and plug-ins to streamline the integration with third-party products. This will make it easier for customers to use and deploy; using wizards and those type of things. I believe these are in the lifecycle and will be in v12.

It's been a pretty stable product. In its earlier years, it had typical lifecycle and maturity issues, but now it's at version 10 or 11 and seems to be running fairly well.

It's been very scalable; as a platform, it handles various data sources, both from HP products and third-party products.

The support team has had its struggles; it is getting better. I think the split of HP into two companies has helped, but that on-going process has created some issues. However, they seem to be working through it and getting better. I think it could be improved with regard to response time, and getting the proper resources.

I'm a senior consultant, so I've extensive experience with the products, so my issues probably should be escalated to a higher-level person from first-level support, rather than have them going through the routine scripts, because I've already done that. No reason to repeat it.

For various customers, I deployed it and helped them run it. It has its complexities because IT has its complexities. When you're monitoring IT, you're going to inherit those complexities, but HPE did make pretty good strides to pull in the data sources and make out-of-the-box integrations, both for their products and for third-party products. Making it the most seamless product possible.

Other Solutions Considered

We do work with other solutions. I would say HP is probably one of our largest partners but we do work with other software vendors. We do some integrations with IBM's NetCool, and with legacy products. HPE make their products modular, even at the data cluster level. We can integrate into another Ops Bridge, but we have also done some other conversions of customers’ ideas and IBM's, and converted them over to HP's products. Sometimes it's a toss-up. Sometimes it is politics in the customer's technology.

Other Advice

You have to have an IT operations background, be familiar with the processes of IT operations, have that type of mind-set. A lot of technologies are based on previous HPE technologies, so some history with HP's legacy products helps. Even though this is a new product, that's always helpful.

I think it's ability to bring in obviously the HP products into one place, gives you a meaningful lens, meaningful correlations, and the ability to process and to take on third-party data, event streams, and metrics. Bringing it all together and it being not as complex as building your own integrations from scratch - they give you a nice, good jump start to bring the third-party data in - is where I give it strengths.

I recommend it and obviously I do make a living deploying it, but I also like to see whether it has value at a customer's site. Can I solve some of their problems, some of their use cases? Because even if they deploy it initially, if they can't use it and get value out of it, it won't last very long. You have to make it fit in their environment and solve some of their use cases and scenarios, and then they'll continue to use it and grow with it.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We're partners
1 visitor found this review helpful