Operations Orchestration Review

HP OO blows away the competition, but has its fair share of flaws.

Valuable Features:

The ease of both integrating it to other products and just development/re-usability of operations/flows in general. The WSDL importing feature is nice. It’s also the most mature product of the type on the market.

Improvements to My Organization:

I’ve used it at two organizations – both operationally and to provision services.

Room for Improvement:

Simple things are missing – being unable to easily capture flow inputs in an automated fashion is one (I shouldn’t have to write an SQL query for this). Being able to easily debug only certain sections of a flow is another (overriding responses doesn’t cut it). They could also improve on variable tracking within a flow. Implementing a find and replace feature would also be nice, so you don’t have to do it through the XML on the backend. Making a parent flow name available to the subflow it kicks off (outside of central/without going into the database).

Use of Solution:

I've been using HP Operations Orchestration for 4+ years.

Initial Setup:

In a small environment it was very easy to setup. It was already setup at my current company; I wasn’t part of it.

Implementation Team:

I did it myself.

Other Solutions Considered:

We didn’t evaluate prior to using this product, but after using it we did compare it to a number of others on the market at the time – everything from Opalis to Atrium Orchestrator from BMC. OO, frankly, blows the others out of the water. It’s easier to use, has more canned ops, and is just all around more mature.

Other Advice:

Implementing it is pretty straightforward. Be aware that 9 and 10 have some very fundamental differences – HP realized, for example, they are terrible at versioning/parallel development – so they finally offloaded that in OO 10 to SVN. Great call in my opinion.

5 visitors found this review helpful