Operations Orchestration Review

We use it for building provisioning servers, installing software, maintaining software, patching, and maintenance. I'd like more functionalities around code release.

Valuable Features

The centralization of the administration is what's most valuable for us. We have a larger estate, with a number of servers and different data centers. Because administration for all this is centralized, we can manage everything with a pretty user-friendly system.

Improvements to My Organization

We use it for building provisioning servers, installing software, maintaining software, patching, and maintenance. We hope to also use it for deploying apps in our environment.

Room for Improvement

It's hard to tell what might be some areas of improvement because some of the constraints might be access-based or have role-based access, so I don't necessarily have access to them. Obviously, we have administrators who narrow down the privileges of our use.

But what I would like are more functionalities around code release. We have a lot of people who spend a lot of time manually deploying code into our thousands of environments. So to make all that more efficient and easier, there should be more functionalities.

I'd also like to see more enterprise-level improvements with concurrency and scalability. It should be big enough to work with the state that we have, but I think there are some concurrency issues such that we can only do 10 or 20 things at a time.

It has deployed without issues for us.

We haven't had any stability issues.

For the servers I'm involved with, we have probably 8,000 of them. In total, there's probably thirty to forty thousand servers in our company.

When you get to speak to the right people, they're helpful. But sometimes it's difficult to get to speak to them. The problem is, I think, is that the way we use the products is not that widely used across the globe, so there's not many subject matter experts within HP who can help us. We struggle to find the right person to talk to, though we eventually get who we need.

I wasn't involved in the initial setup.

Other Solutions Considered

We considered both Oracle and Microsoft solutions. However, we wanted to have a single, unified system within our architecture, so we stuck with HP.

Other Advice

I'd suggest that you start small and learn the tool set. Once you've put everything into place, then you can grow.