OPNsense Review

It allows me to assess our network traffic and has the best user interface

What is our primary use case?

It is the main firewall for one of our locations. We use it for intrusion detection and prevention. We are using the latest software version, but the hardware is not the latest.

What is most valuable?

The VPN server feature is the most valuable. It is integrated with Radius and AAA for doing accounting and authentication.

Insight view is also an important feature for me at this time. It allows me to assess our network traffic. I also like the firewall feature. The BSD kernel has a packet filter. It is one of the most solid frameworks for firewalls.

Its user interface is one of the best interfaces I have used.

What needs improvement?

The only thing that I would like to see improved is the Insight or the NetFlow analysis part. It would be good to have the possibility to dig down on the Insight platform. Right now, we can easily do only a few analyses. If this page becomes more powerful, it surely will be a well-adopted platform.

I started to use OPNsense about three years ago.

It is stable, but for us, it is not yet so reliable. Our server is an old DL120 HP Server, which is from the year 2006. We have ordered another appliance. After we receive the new appliance, it would be more stable for us.

It scales well for our needs. I haven't tried any horizontal or vertical scaling so far.

I did not need any technical support.

I used pfSense two years ago, but I was not so happy with our system protection. I have also previously used Cisco ASA appliance. It was a 5505 model, but it failed because of the hardware issues. It was prone to hardware failure, and in one month, we lost both firewalls. It was also not so easy to see traffic with Cisco ASA. I could not easily identify traffic issues.

The initial setup was straightforward. I also have experience with BSD services, so I had no issues at all. It took us half an hour to deploy it for 250 users.

We deployed it ourselves. There was no need for a consultant for the deployment. We have two engineers for its deployment and maintenance.

It is not an expensive product. Basically, I deployed it because it was the fastest solution to satisfy our needs in open source.

What other advice do I have?

We plan to continue using this solution. Right now, we are settling our networks. We plan to expand its usage, but I don't think it will happen until 2022.

It has a good user interface. Its configuration is simple but requires a little planning. It is much simpler than the Cisco ASA configuration.

I would recommend this solution. I would rate OPNsense a nine out of ten. I am happy with it.

More OPNsense reviews from users
...who compared it with pfSense