OPNsense Review

Solved problems with VPN support for a small office network and is easy to use

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for this solution is using it as a VPN to connect our data centers and our offices with Windows servers.

Also, we use OPNsense as a general firewall for protocol warnings on IIS.

How has it helped my organization?

OPNsense has been useful. It's easy to use. We can open a new VPN connection easily. It's much easier than with Fortinet in our experience. It is open source licensed.

Open source software operates well. It's a good product. It's what FortiGate was with licensing. You need new licenses for it now. OPNsense is much more flexible.

What is most valuable?

The feature that we found most valuable is the flexibility. It has nothing to do with operating the firewall. It's that we can program it the way we want.

There is no need to fight with the user interface.

What needs improvement?

In our experience, OPNsense showed me some problems when using it in different environments. The problem is integration with a virtual server.

In general, OPNsense is sweet, pretty, and neat. It's still in development. I expect the next release in the fall. Maybe they are going to polish it more.

I would love a buy a new VPN. We experience problems with the old one. In high variables, it shuts off. We want to switch to a new one.

We have been using OPNsense one year and a half.

With the stability of this solution, we have had no problems except with high availability when we switch remote machines on.

Sometimes, it disconnects the VPN. That's the only problem we have experienced so far.

We don't have too much traffic. With our traffic, it's working great. We don't expect to have a very big traffic load. Directly within our offices, maybe 20 or 30 people.

For the internet server, they are using our service. We have people on 100 home VPN connections. The final users are in the thousands. We are using it in all our offices.

We only use OPNsense now. We migrated from FortiGate. We removed all FortiGate software. That is the only problem we had using the tool.

We did not require any help from the support team.

Previously, we used the Fortinet FortiGate switch because of the devices we have. They were limited to maybe 100-200 MB and were slowing down very drastically with Fortinet.

For many different reasons and because I need to do IP implementation that was not very compatible with our VPN, we switched. Now we have no problem integrating the VPN.

We switched to this open source solution and so far we are happy with it.

The initial set up was very easy. We had it working in one week or so. It was pretty fast.

We did the initial setup only by ourselves.

We are not paying any licensing fees. OPNsense is completely free for us.

We evaluated other products for defense similar to OPNsense. We weren't happy with the whole difference. We were happy with the company behind OPNsense.

We will pay for OPNsense if required, but that is the main reason we chose it.

What other advice do I have?

My first advice is to check the recommendations. They have online information to spec it out in general. OPNsense is a great tool for problem-solving with a VPN. It's very nice.

On a scale of one to ten, I would rate this product an 8. It still needs to mature. It's new, only two years or three in the market. They are doing great improvements. They still need to fix little things with the high availability and the user interface. That needs to be polished, but they are doing a great job.