6mc9b0wlzl1qccukkbyq 400x400

Opsview Enterprise Review
In graphs, I can check if and when notifications went out.

Valuable Features:

I would have to choose two features: Investigate Mode and Troubleshooting.

Improvements to My Organization:

All the useful information is right there in tabs for me to check on graphs; check if and when notifications went out. I can make notes on a particular occurrence, and check the history all of these features. It saves me time when troubleshooting an issue with an interface or service. Speaking of troubleshooting, the ability to test the script or plugin right from this Investigative mode is my second favorite feature.

Room for Improvement:

Reload time: Although there have been major gains in the time to process reloads, I think that there is still room for improvement in this area.

The major gains are between versions 5.0 and 5.2.. When ever you make a change or addition to to a host/interface you need to manually reload the system for the changes to be seen.  The time it takes for the reload process to complete has decreased from about a minute to just over 30 seconds with just a small number of hosts (83) and then acknowledge the changes. You are reminded that you need to perform this action by a change of color of the Reload Menu item from Blue to Orange however you still have to wait for the system to reload before you can proceed to your next task.

My preference would be for this process to happen in the background so that I could move on to another task but still have the option to acknowledge or roll back the changes if need be.

Use of Solution:

I have used it for almost a year now.

Deployment Issues:

We had a few hiccup's along the way converting from Nagios XI but with the fantastic and timely support at Opsview, those hiccups were easy to swallow.

Stability Issues:

We have not encountered any stability issues whatsoever, and I was a little concerned with this at first, since we were seeing dropped packets on our heavy SNMP usage before we migrated; have not had a dropped packet since we switched.

Scalability Issues:

We have not encountered any scalability issues at all. With the ease in deploying slaves, we are about to add a couple of slaves to take on some heavy interface-laden equipment and I am confident that Opsview can handle all of it without issue.

Customer service is 10 out of 10. They have always been able to resolve any issue we were having and very fast to respond to questions/tickets when we had them.

Again, technical support is 10 out of 10.

Previous Solutions:

We previously used Nagios then Nagios XI.

Initial Setup:

The setup was straightforward and easy; the configuration was a little more complex but that was easily rectified with training.

Implementation Team:

We did this ourselves with the help of Opsview Support.

ROI:

Determining ROI is above my pay grade.

Cost and Licensing Advice:

Compared to other commercial offerings, it is fairly priced and the licensing is so streamlined, it is easy to budget for.

Other Solutions Considered:

Before choosing this product, we also evaluated Ipswitch and SolarWinds.

Other Advice:

As a busy sysadmin that wears many hats, it is a relief to deal with this product and the Opsview staff. I don't think there is a better commercial offering in this category, at least for our implementation.

0 Comments

Anonymous avatar x30

Have A Question About Opsview Enterprise?

Our experts can help. 221,808 professionals have used our research on 5,660 solutions.