Opsview Monitor Review

We like the ease of configuration for monitoring of new hosts/services, worker redundancy and load balancing.

Valuable Features

There are several valuable features for us, including ease of configuration of monitoring of new hosts/services, worker redundancy and load balancing, and the fact that it’s compatible with the plethora of existing Nagios plugins available on the web.

Improvements to My Organization

We have been able to drastically scale up and out our monitoring, after coming from a vanilla Nagios monitoring.

Room for Improvement

We are starting to hit the limits of how we can scale out. While the UI has always been snappy, it can take about 30 minutes from committing a configuration change to when that change is apparent in the UI, for example adding a service check to a host.

Use of Solution

We've used it for three years.

During deployment, we were required to perform some database tuning, but there were no show-stopping issues otherwise.

Previously, an upgrade brought about some issues of instability. We were able to work through them, though, with the help of Opsview support.

We are just starting to reach the limits of scalability. We have ~3,500 hosts and ~40,000 services.

Customer service is very good. They're quick to respond and persistent when working through a major issue.

The technical reps know the product well.

We previously used Vanilla and Nagios. We needed a solution that was scalable but still supported our existing plugins.

The initial setup was somewhat complex, particularly importing our existing Nagios configuration into Opsview. We also deployed with several worker nodes.

Implementation Team

Deployment and management is done entirely with our in-house team.

Other Solutions Considered

I believe we also looked at Nagios XI.

Other Advice

Take the opportunity to review all of your monitoring policies if you decide to migrate to this product.

2 visitors found this review helpful
2 Comments
Chris ChilderhoseReal UserTOP REVIEWERELITE SQUAD

Nice review. We use Nagios and Solarwinds now but I am going to Trial this to see how it is and hopefully replace at least Nagios which I hate.

05 April 16
Systems & Monitoring Engineer at a comms service provider with 51-200 employeesReal User

At first I was surprised that changes were taking so long to be reflected in the UI, then I saw just how much you are monitoring.

It would be interesting to know what spec you are using at that scale.

05 April 16