Opsview Monitor Review

I would say stability is the most valuable feature. We use it mainly for networking post-monitoring and service monitoring.

Valuable Features

The system is very robust and very rarely breaks. It just sits there working, doing what's expected. Very little maintenance is needed and the support is very good. I would say stability is the most valuable feature. I'm struggling to think of a time when it actually crashed or when we had a problem.

Improvements to My Organization

We use it mainly for networking post-monitoring and service monitoring. We have sites across France, Spain, and the UK with many different production devices on it. We mainly just do service checks to make sure the operation of the company advances if we use a service or house at a particular site.

Room for Improvement

I think it still has room for improvement to auto discovery. If you put the agent on a house, it has auto discovery. I also think it can be improved with VMware as well. It can be a little bit flaky with the agent on VMware.

It performs all the diversifications, but if you've got a VMware environment, there are some anomalies within the service checks. I don't know if that's because of plugins unfamiliar to VMware or if there's an actual issue with Opsview. Regardless, it's not as strong with VMware as it is with other devices.

Use of Solution

We've had it now for seven or eight years.

Other than within the VMware environment, we haven't had any issues with deployment.

It has just sat working forever throughout the last seven years without any problems.

We've had issues with scalability as we ran out of house. We only had a contract for a certain number and ran out. We upscaled to 650 devices, which was a simple yet expensive process.

Both the customer service and technical support are excellent. We've purchased 20 calls per year of support, and I would say we probably use about 3.

We were using a previous solution called NightWatch. It had nowhere near the features of Opsview.

Implementation Team

We used the Opsview teams to install the product.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

It's not something that I tend to get involved with, obviously, but I believe the proactive monitoring would be significantly cheaper. Obviously, we've got a good rapport with Opsview so we were reluctant to change.

Other Solutions Considered

We were toying within the idea of proactive monitoring as well, but because we've been an Opsview shop for quite a number of years, it was just easier at the time just to renew the contract.

Other Advice

I think everything could have a little bit of improvement with monitoring and reporting. It needs improvements with VMware as well as in a few other avenues. On the whole, though, it's exactly what we're looking for.