OptiView XG Review
Provides visibility into a network regardless of vendor

When I go onsite to troubleshoot a customer issue, I cannot assume that they will give me access to their network management system. As an independent, I can’t possibly know every vendor’s management system, products and system commands as well.

As a troubleshooter, I am always looking for vendor independent to add to my kit that will give me visibility into a network regardless of vendor. In other words, I like the fact that I can use the XG in multivendor environments and monitor various vendor’s equipment without having to mess around with various management systems, commands, etc..

In this example I take you through a brief peek at Fluke Network’s Optiview XG and what information you can gather. The Optiview XG can cause a bit of confusion since it can be sold with Fluke Network’s AirMagnet product suite, which in its own right is very good. But in some cases the customer might not need the full blown AirMagnet suite or may just want to poke around at a higher level and possibly work their way up to the AirMagnet software, if required.

This tool relies on SNMP (ver 1,2 or 3) to gather the statistics shown in this demo, so in reality I would need a valid IP address on the customer network, be positioned on the same VLAN as the AP (or add the AP manually) and finally I would require read only SNMP access to their equipment.

Most of the time, getting read only SNMP access during a troubleshooting exercise isn’t out of the question and avoids having to go through the bigger ordeal of getting access to a network management system or login accounts for specific network equipment.

In this video I show you how to record the signal strength of various clients, from the access points perspective.

Enjoy

1 visitor found this review helpful

Request Demo

Walk through OptiView XG yourself with our virtual demo!

1 Comment

it_user3876ConsultantPOPULAR

We are using OptiView for the wired network of our organization. It proved to be very beneficial for us because of its portable size. Our technicians can move freely from one site to the other for diagnosing critical network problems.

With its integrated ClearSight and AirMagnet technologies, we can detect whether the problem occurred is at network level, application level or server level.

We also use it for testing the reliability of our network configuration.

It is a good product and I highly recommend it.

14 December 13