OptiView XG Review

A portable and durable solution. It's also easy to upgrade hardware to current standards.

What is most valuable?

• It's an integrated, purposed package.
  • It's fairly portable, durable, and usually easy to upgrade hardware to current standards (10gb for example).

How has it helped my organization?

Troubleshooting becomes less of a mystery, particularly when showing the problem to other people. It's a lot more difficult showing someone Wireshark and explaining what's going on. I can lend my Linkrunner to Help Desk and have them check out a port with little training. I can show the problem on an OptiView and the graphs will make it easier to understand.

What needs improvement?

Hard to say for sure, but I'd almost want to see what a VM appliance version would be like. You would definitely miss out on AirCheck and AirMagnet but perhaps the cost could go down quite a bit and you'd still have about 80% of the product. Also, I've never been a fan of the touchscreen. I have big fingers and don't always have the stylus handy. The device is not convenient for holding in one hand.

I've used many Fluke Networks products since 2000 when I worked at Disney. This includes OptiView, One-touch, AirCheck, Linkrunner, etc.

Typically, I encountered no issues at all beyond the initial learning curve. However, the OptiView really is more for experienced network troubleshooters.

I've never encountered a problem like this with Fluke Networks products.

With the cost it's hard to justify having more than one in our school. Also, the OptiView is overkill for 90% of the troubleshooting I do, making the much more portable Linkrunner, One-touch, or AirCheck better options. I've literally thrown those products in my back pocket.

I've tried some different software solutions in the past. I've switched to Fluke Networks products because having an all-in-one tool is more convenient, and the way information is presented makes it easier to share knowledge.

The initial setup is always ways straightforward IF the network is set up correctly in the first place.

We implemented in-house.

What other advice do I have?

Know your audience and IT technical level. You cannot hand this over to desktop support and expect immediately results like with the One-Touch. However, this is still an easier product than interpreting Wireshark, or other similar software. It's also easier to show to others and explain plainly.