OptiView XG Review

You can do a packet capture at a line speed up to 10 GB which is critical in a data center.

What is most valuable?

The ability to a packet capture on the fly and more recently, to use the ClearSight software to analyze it. From an operational standpoint, when you have an issue in the data center you want the ability to not only do a packet capture but also to do a packet capture at a line speed up to 10 GB which is critical in a data center.

How has it helped my organization?

I think it cuts down the time to resolution drastically for an environment that would not have the ability to do these packet captures.

What needs improvement?

The biggest is that the storage space is very limited. I'd like the ability to capture more data.

We have had a version of it for over 10 years. We started with the classic, and have had several classics. We mainly use it in the data centers.

We've had no issues with its performance.

It's had no issues handling the data it captures.

8/10

We did use a different solution and we switched because of the portability, and we had a very good salesperson that worked with us.

It was functional right out of the box.

What other advice do I have?

One thing what I would ask is that they attend the offered training courses. Sometimes they, Fluke Networks or NetScout, will offer training courses for the product in areas close to large cities. They seem to go around the country and have training for particular products. I think a technical or operational team would get great benefit out of seeing all the features of the OptiView XG in real time as opposed to looking at documentation and going through it themselves.