Netscout logo

OptiView XG Review
The sniffer feature helps us troubleshoot user connections by identifying the source and destination. The reporting function codes could be improved.

Valuable Features:

The most valuable feature of this product is the sniffer, where we can troubleshoot user connections by identifying the source and destination, to try to get to the root cause. I'm in the operations role, so I'm always trying to get to the root cause.

Improvements to My Organization:

I don't use it that much, maybe once or twice, so I can't really say whether it has helped the way my company functions much. I want to. The challenge is getting the experience with the product to use it successfully. I think that's one of the areas where Fluke (now OptiView) probably needs to step up and make it available to end users so they would use this product more often.

Room for Improvement:

I think sometimes the codes that are provided with respect to the reporting function could be improved. Is there a way that we can automate the reporting that dumps the captures to discover what could be the potential culprit? Sometimes I see information that's anecdotal, that is being alarmed on but is not really the root cause.

They could also implement a distributive model: How do you take the current functionality of the product and make it mobile? Where we could deploy it quickly, anywhere, to help us get to the root cause because, right now, Wireshark is our go-to sniffer.

Use of Solution:

I've probably been using it for about five years.

Stability Issues:

I have not encountered any stability issues. I never had it crash, but I don't use it much either.

Scalability Issues:

As far as I can recall, I don’t think I ever ran out of storage on it. It usually supports over 500 users.

I have asked technical support for help, and I had a good experience. Usually, support would push me towards training and so forth, if I had something specific. I would say it was about a 6/10. I think if they provided customers the training as part of the purchase would really go a long way.

Previous Solutions:

I did not previously use a different solution. Honestly, we probably use Wireshark more than we use Fluke in our environment, because we can deploy it to a person's laptop anywhere in the world and use the traces. I think that's one of the challenges with the Fluke product, how I have to ship it somewhere to use it, which is not effective.

Initial Setup:

I have a ton of challenges with the OptiViewproducts. I think on the wired stuff, it was a little easier to decipher. I think on the wireless side, because I had the combo, it may have been a little bit more challenging there.

Cost and Licensing Advice:

I think that the maintenance is ridiculous on some of the products, including OptiView.

Other Solutions Considered:

Before choosing this product, I did not evaluate other options. I don't normally get into that. On the other hand, we do use other products for sure.

Other Advice:

Figure out how you're going to deploy it, and whether it will include online deployment. I think there's a lot of competition out there with respect to the online portion of it. You can put probes and so forth that have a similar function to Fluke on the network. I don't know if there's a software version that's similar to Wireshark that can be deployed and then use Fluke's analytics to get to the root cause. I think it's a good product.

0 Comments

Anonymous avatar x30

Have A Question About OptiView XG?

Our experts can help. 227,901 professionals have used our research on 5,829 solutions.