OptiView XG Review

Its network packet analysis and application monitoring help us pinpoint latency issues.

Valuable Features

• Analysis of the packets across the network
  • Application monitoring

We use these features for troubleshooting rogue applications. We look for lost packets when we're having issues across our wide area network.

Improvements to My Organization

Basically, what OptiView XG allowed us to do is, when someone says, "Hey, there's a problem, we're experiencing slow latency in a site", we put it on both ends and we look at the traffic going between both ends and see where the latency lies. It gives us an overall view of what's going across that, and we can make adjustments or we can then pinpoint and say “Hey, this thing's going nuts and talk to whoever is responsible for that server or application.”

Room for Improvement

None of my guys have said anything about improving it or doing anything like that. I really wouldn't have any input on that one.

Nonetheless, to make the product perfect, Maybe the licensing could come down; the price could come down a little bit, that would be kind of nice. I think it's a little bit expensive, but as far as functionality goes, I'm not too sure about any room for improvement; I'm not the one that uses it every day. I don't have any; I'm the guy that pays for it.

Use of Solution

We have been using it for four years. It supports the 600 users in my company.

As far as I know, we have not encountered any stability issues.

As far as I know, we have not encountered any scalability issues. I don't know that it's ever crashed.

I haven't had to contact technical support, but my guys have. They said it's fine; they've had no problems with tech support when they've called it before.

I did not previously use a different solution. What we had before the Fluke product, we had the ASUS. Those were in-betweens, and that was just to see what the utilization was. And that's all we ever used, we didn't use anything else. We switched because the ASUS didn't give us much as detail as the OptiView did.

We needed some tweaking from the engineer, so it was a little more complex at the beginning, but once we got the hang of it, everything seemed to go just fine.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

It's expensive.

Other Solutions Considered

Before choosing this product, we looked at some others; they didn't have a lot of the things that this product had, so that's why we selected this one. We had previous history with Fluke and we had good dealings with them, so that's why we chose this product.

Other Advice

The only thing I could say is make sure that you get help in the beginning to set it up correctly, and then it pretty much runs on its own and you have no problems. That's the only thing my suggestion would be. Make sure you start out at the beginning with someone to help set it up, and then you'll have no issues.