OptiView XG Review

We use it for network discovery, fiber testing, and checking the packet status. It scans the network for problems.

What is most valuable?

• Network discover: We use it for fiber testing, for checking all the packets that are going in and out, availability, bandwidth, etc.
  • We don't necessarily use it every day, but every time we have some issues with the network, we use it. This could be once a week, twice a month, or three times a month.
  • I usually have it turned on all the time just to scan the network for problems.

How has it helped my organization?

There are a lot of improvements depending on the situation. We have a lot of tools that we can use. If we are in the field and we have OptiView, it is our first line of defense. It is very easy to do the troubleshooting right away. It's an issue of portability.

What needs improvement?

I think everything is OK, except that they integrated AirMagnet already. It's also very heavy, like a brick.

We've been using the product for more than ten years.

We had a stability issue when we updated. It froze a few times, but they were able to solve it when we opened a ticket. We had a virus issue, but they solved that as well.

We didn't encounter any scalability issues.

The technical support is pretty good. I would give them a rating of 9.5/10.

We did not switch to anything. But again, we have multiple monitoring tools, and we had XG since day one.

The setup was pretty straightforward unless you don't know how to pay attention and listen to the instructions.

What other advice do I have?

• Make sure that you know what you're doing.
  • Make sure you know where to do the plugins. There are multiple Ethernet ports. Know which one you want to be part of the network, which one you want for management, etc. Sometimes they interchange those things if they don't pay attention. They just plug everything in there, and then you get screwed up.
  • You need to know what SFP you're going to use for a 10-Gigabit and a 1-Gigabit port. Those are important things. But again, you have to pay particular attention to those things, or else you will not get any results.
More OptiView XG reviews from users
Find out what your peers are saying about NETSCOUT, Zabbix, Nagios and others in Network Monitoring Software. Updated: July 2021.
523,372 professionals have used our research since 2012.