Netscout logo

OptiView XG Review
Most valuable to me is its size and the applications that are loaded on it.

Valuable Features:

Most valuable to me is its size and the applications that are loaded on it. It's like a Swiss Army Knife. It's in a tablet size, but not like a laptop. It has handles and straps so it's easy to carry around and survey. The bulkiness I accept only because I need the extra battery life. I don't know if there's a way to do all that stuff and not have the battery capacity. We ordered extra batteries so we can swap them out and keep surveying.

Improvements to My Organization:

We've been using it a lot for the wireless portion. We've been doing surveys, heat maps, verification of signal strength, and everything else. If we use the OptiView, we also can use verified LAN and WAN, we do bandwidth throughput testing. Those are some of the big tasks we use it for.

It's the one product that we go to when we have a problem or need to get information, because it can do so much. You don't have to go back and grab this or that other device. It's a Swiss Army Knife.

Room for Improvement:

Recently, they introduced a cellular product, so part of what I needed was to add this onto the XG so we can do cellular heat maps for our properties and locations. Our owners come over and expect to have great Internet, as well as connections for their phones when they bring them. That would probably be something I'd want to add on. Size is not a big factor for me, because I realize we ask it to do a lot and for a long time. We may go all day, so I need battery stamina.

Recently, it came out with the web interface or cloud-based feedback; that's good. You got live clients for testing and all that. I'm actually pretty happy with what I've got. I can't think of anything else that I could be improved on, other than the cellular, which they've already done. I've given feedback and they seem to have caught up on that stuff. The cellular was the last one that I had talked about.

Use of Solution:

I have been using OptiView since the XG came out and we had the generation before that, so we're looking at either six or seven years.

Stability Issues:

We haven’t had stability issues. We buy the gold support to cover us if there are any issues. One time, we had an issue with a battery and they sent us new batteries overnight. The gold support is important for us, so in case anything does come up, it's covered.

Scalability Issues:

I have no stability problems because we maintain network connectivity with the whole state of Hawaii; from here to the Big Island. If I need to run tests, it's usually to set up a reflector and run bandwidth tests. Scalability wise, it can go across and do quite a few things with what we need to test it with.

I rate technical support 5/5, being the best. After our last report and the follow-up, everything's been great.

Previous Solutions:

We've used other products and the biggest problem was lack of support, no warranty or excess warranties; things like that. The OptiView support program was pretty comprehensive, including updates for the XG and the other products that we buy. It's something that an enterprise would need; not some fly-by-night or, "oh, we're going to do this stuff, but we won't do extra.", kind of thing.

Initial Setup:

Setup was pretty straightforward. We needed a little help from our sales engineer who guided us through some scenarios. Then, once we got the hang of it, we took off with it. We just needed a little nudge.

Other Solutions Considered:

We looked at freeware options like JDSU. We looked at Wavetec, also.

0 Comments

Anonymous avatar x30

Have A Question About OptiView XG?

Our experts can help. 209,588 professionals have used our research on 5,564 solutions.