Oracle Access Manager Review

Decreases the complexity of access which saves time, confusion and trouble

What is our primary use case?

The product is our solution for SSO (Secure Sign On). The solution allows users to sign in to one application, for example, Windows, and they will have access to other applications that require login without having to log in each time.

How has it helped my organization?

It decreases the complexity of access. This alone saves time, confusion and trouble.

What is most valuable?

SSO itself is valuable because it allows the users just to have one password. After logging in to their machine, users don't need to remember or enter additional passwords. There is no need to log in and log out many times, which saves time. Users log in to any application just by typing the initial password.

What needs improvement?

The product could be improved by simplifying changing the master password. That is, if you change a password in one place it would be good to automate changing the password for all the gateways so that change is less complicated.

We have been using the product for more than two years.

It is very stable. This is because it is a mature product and it gets better with time. It improves and I think that it continues to do so.

It is very scalable. You can serve as many users as you need to add. As long as you have the machines and infrastructure in place there are no real limits to the scalability.

Initially, the customer support was in Europe and the technicians were very knowledgeable. Now they have changed support locations and customer support is not as good. The technicians are simply not as knowledgeable and experienced with the solution. Hopefully, over time this will work out and the new technicians will gain the knowledge that they need to service customers better.

In my experience, clients did not have a previous solution. The idea of the installation was to provide a solution which did not previously exist and make managing sign on less complicated.

In most cases the implementation is simple. However, it can get more complicated. In an instance which requires high security (e.g., a bank), we have to make sure there are no back door entry points to log in. Once this is done, it is very secure. If the installation is simple, it doesn't take much time. If there are hundreds of machines and they require customization, it can take quite a bit of additional time.

It's not easy to integrate Oracle Access with other non-Oracle products. It takes some more effort, and you will need to refer to the documentation or technical support. It will allow integration, but it will not necessarily be easy to implement.

We do the implementations ourselves so there is no need for additional vendors or engineers.

It is difficult to really tell what the exact return on investment is. The product saves time and increases security. These are the benefits.

Pricing is scalable depending on the number of users. The more users, the more it will cost. It is not the cheapest solution but it is the most compatible with Oracle.

We have chosen to install this product as an SSO solution because it is powerful, recognized and mature. We really did not consider other solutions as we service Oracle installations.

What other advice do I have?

Oracle Access Manager is a very efficient solution if you're working with Oracle applications like ELT, and so on. It's very efficient with this because integration is built-in. You have to make sure that an application is supported by Oracle as the Access Manager product is meant to supporting their own products.

I will rate it as an eight out of ten because it's a good solution, it's very stable and integrated with Oracle solutions. It can be scaled as much as you need as long as you can afford it.