Oracle Advanced Security Review

Has good data encryption and data reduction but the solution is constrained

What is most valuable?

The features that are the most used by the customers and partners are, at the moment, for GDPR, so obviously data encryption and data reduction are the most valuable to them. Our customers also like the partitioning option.

What needs improvement?

It is really constrained as an environment because you cannot change something that would be useful. It is a very good product because it is very similar to what you have on-premises. Yes, it is constrained, but it is expected because it is a platform as a service so it has to be constrained.

At the moment, I haven't found a problem with the availability.

In the last few months, Oracle implemented a lot of new features and the new functionalities on the database system. So it is more useful.

As you may know, technical support for whichever vendor or whichever brand will depend on the analyst. So it is very difficult to assess. Until now I found the technical people for Oracle Cloud to be very and good.

I was an Oracle employee for about 10 years and I worked mainly on the Oracle Database. Then I changed the company and I changed my job and started to work with Oracle Cloud. So at the moment, I only work with Oracle Cloud. I have some basic knowledge about Microsoft Azure and AWS, but I don't usually work with these two cloud vendors.

The initial setup is usually really complex. Partners ask us for consultancy with an environment that is really complex to implement.

The implementation is really easy. The problem is the architecture that you have to implement. Usually, it is more complex if you have a more complex infrastructure. And then creating the system is very simple, but then you have to integrate it with the other components. For example, the customer wants to use custom backup so you have to install the backup module. Somebody wants to save on file storage services so you have to integrate with special service and so on. It depends on the architecture and the infrastructure that the customer wants.

Pricing is pretty similar between the competitors because you have to spend more money on a computer for AWS and less money for Oracle but the storage is a bit cheaper. I think that prices are very similar between the cloud vendors.

What other advice do I have?

My recommendation for this solution would depend on customer needs. As you may know, Oracle has a lot of different offerings for database service because it has the standard database service, there is an autonomous database, there is Exadata Cloud Service. So there are lots of choices that the customer can consider. It depends on the specific customer needs, so usually, I do an assessment to really identify the correct solution for that customer.

I would rate it a seven out of ten.

Find out what your peers are saying about Oracle, Microsoft, Micro Focus and others in Endpoint Encryption. Updated: July 2021.
522,946 professionals have used our research since 2012.