Oracle API Management Review

Good security and technical support, but the price could be made more affordable

What is our primary use case?

We are a multivendor solution provider and this is one of the products that we implement for our clients. We also use it internally.

The main reason we use this solution is to centralize APIs.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features for us are security and centralization.

What needs improvement?

Before gaining experience with the product, I found that it was not simple to use and things took longer to do than I had anticipated.

The price of this solution should be lowered.

The first time that we implemented a project using Oracle API Management was about three years ago.

This is a stable solution and I don't have any complaints. While we do have problems, what we have found is that the issues are with the APIs themselves. It might be the structure or the connections, but the problem is not with the manager.

I think that as a cloud-based solution, it is easily scalable. I would not say that it is vertically scalable, adding CPUs or memory, but parallelization and horizontal scaling should not be a problem.

Our company has more than 1,000 employees but this solution serves many external users as well. There are probably many thousands of users, in total. There are millions of requests that are made.

The technical support from Oracle is very good. We have had many problems but we have good attention from support in Portugal.

In the past, when we have had very serious problems that could not be solved by the support team in Portugal, we have had to go to other countries. It took a while to resolve but I can't say that the support was not good. It may not have been fast enough, but in the end, the problem was solved and things get done.

We do use other API Management solutions for specific projects but our main solution, which is also used internally, is Oracle.

In the past, when I was a software architect, I gained some experience with Microsoft Azure API Management and other products.

The initial setup was easy. We did have some questions with respect to handing all of the demand, but it was not hard. With the right people, everything is easy.

We have a team of three people who maintain this solution. They handle other products and there is some development, as well. If their only task was support then I think that a team of two people would suffice.

Oracle is not a cheap solution and it is not affordable for all of our clients in Portugal.

We are currently searching for other, more affordable options for future projects.

What other advice do I have?

Oracle can be somewhat complex at times, not with respect to the interface but the mechanisms. However, if you have the right people with the right knowledge then it won't be a problem.

Many people, including engineers, don't know what API management is or what it can be. I think that if Oracle can make this solution simple to set up and simple to use, with many examples of how people can set it up and get things done, then it will be helpful for companies who don't have this type of solution.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Other