Oracle API Platform Cloud Service Review

Oracle API Platform Cloud Service covers the API Lifecycle from design to retirement

What is our primary use case?

Since I see API Management as a key enabler for digital transformation and for growing new digital economies, an consistent API Management strategy is important to define. Consequently, an API Management platform is an essential architectural component in today's applications architecture, which needs to be capable for covering the complete API lifecycle from definition to retirement, supporting an API-First development approach, because with that development of new services and functionalities can be done more efficient.

How has it helped my organization?

With API-first, the platform provides a consistent and comprehensible philosophy. It definitely influences:

• The way we think how APIs should be developed.
  • What API Management means from a implementation perspective.
  • What API Management means from an organizational perspective.

What is most valuable?

Oracle's APIP CS is a platform capable for consistently covering the complete API Lifecycle from design to retirement, supporting an API-first approach. The platform provides a strong and intuitive API Design platform, which allows the collaborative creation of new API Designs in an efficient API-first manner.

Furthermore, APIP CS provides a lightweight, flexible architecture and offers a hybrid deployment model, where the API Gateway components can be installed either to Oracle Cloud, third-party cloud providers (Amazon, Azure), or On-Premises.

This allows the creation of very flexible, agile API-driven architectures. This Micro Gateway approach, is especially valuable in Microservices architectures. The Gateways are communicating with a Management Service, which lives in the Cloud, to send usage information or to fetch changes for the deployed APIs. The advantage of this "Calling home" mechanism is that there's no need to define firewall exceptions, since it is an outbound communication.

APIP CS Management Service is a cloud-based application, running only on Oracle Cloud. The Management Service has been built following the API-first principal and is a cloud-native application. The corresponding UIs (Management Portal, API Catalog) are very intuitive and therefore easy-to-use. The implementation and management of new APIs is straightforward. There is not a high learning curve.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see enhanced support for SOAP Service and the corresponding WS-Security policies.

Less than one year.

We did not encounter any issues with stability.

We did not encounter any issues with scalability.

Technical support is good, as far as we can see. The community around the platform is growing and is sharing knowledge.

We did not use a different solution before.

Since it is a cloud-based platform, there isn't that much of an initial setup. The only things that really need to be installed are the corresponding API Gateways. This might be tricky the first time, but afterwards, it shouldn't be a problem.

Thinking about the general Gateway architecture is essential, especially with respect to the potential number of API Calls. Typical questions that should be answered in this context are:

• Where should the Gateways be deployed?
  • Do we only need Gateways for external access (DMZ) or do we also need internal Gateways (Green Zone)?
  • Which APIs need to be deployed to which Gateways?

To guarantee high availability of your API Gateway components, corresponding solutions should be established (Implementation of Load Balancers). This is especially important when you have critical SLAs like guaranteed availability.

We also evaluated the MuleSoft AnyPoint Platform.

What other advice do I have?

The API-first approach should be used, since it provides a lot of benefits, like consistent API Design or increased development agility. I recommend to adopt this approach and the philosophy provided by APIP CS to get the most value out of APIs.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: My company is an Oracle Platinum Partner.
1 visitor found this review helpful