Oracle Application Development Framework Review

Easy to teach to programmers especially regarding how to capture the technology and how to enhance it

What is most valuable?

There are several valuable features. First is the fast deployment. Also the ease of use. It's easy to teach it to the programmers, especially regarding how to capture the technology and how to enhance it when you're talking about the integration with other software.

What needs improvement?

The product could be improved with more relevance to the region. We are in the Middle East. Some technologies are not applicable here, especially when we talk about complex integration like with the central bank or government APIs and so on.

Also, in future releases, I'd like to see them integrate voice recognition and machine learning - for the AI to be a fundamental component in the development kit.

I have been using Oracle Application Development Framework for about 15 years.

It is stable, but again, integration is with two parties. So Oracle can mature their products, but on the other side, the third-party software needs to mature enough to integrate and use that stability in their performance. We have some problems with Oracle relative to third parties. Like in one project, there were some loopholes for hackers to penetrate through our main application.

In terms of scalability, as it matures new releases are more scalable.

Usually, it is my technical team that contacts support. Oracle support is great. One of the best that I've seen.

I have not used a different solution in the payment gateway. There are different STKs. Banner has its own STKs, especially for the portal and so on. So depending on the application of the technology provider, they provide their own framework for developing their own software. Again, going back to the integration component.

Oracle Application Development Framework has fast deployment. Depending on the application complexity you're talking between weeks and months.

Depending on the complexity, most likely we will be using some vendor assistance, or consultants, to help us in maneuvering the application. Like integrating between Oracle and Banner. These are two systems that both use the same database but have different applications. The companies do have some standards when we integrate these applications but I need to refer back to the technology owner for understanding the parameters of integration.

Just begin by contacting Oracle. It's hard to find the right place to contact because of a lack of advertisement for their tools and user groups. Last year I was in Manchester for an Oracle conference and I was surprised to know that there are so many tools available on the web. So if clients are going to search in Oracle, they may not find it. There is a lack of promotion from the Oracle side for those tools.

I chose Oracle because they have abundant money and they're technology leaders. They're investing in developing and enhancing their framework. Relying on Oracle will be a cornerstone. Third parties will follow.

I've seen IBM take a back seat here. I've seen Microsoft and SAP and others are taking secondary roles in evolving their application especially for scalability and integrability.

What other advice do I have?

Oracle is the best - I give it a ten out of ten.

More Oracle Application Development Framework reviews from users
...who compared it with Spring Boot
Find out what your peers are saying about Oracle Application Development Framework vs. Spring Boot and other solutions. Updated: January 2021.
455,164 professionals have used our research since 2012.