Oracle Application Express (APEX) Review

Shortens the development cycle, enabling faster delivery to the customer

What is our primary use case?

Right now, we have two primary use cases for this solution. We are using Oracle APEX to build full-customized ERP systems for big companies and also for small and medium-sized enterprises.

How has it helped my organization?

Oracle APEX improved our organization by making it possible for us to implement agile project development. A key agile feature is shortening the development cycle, enabling faster delivery to the customer. It enables us to deliver a complete system to the customer more quickly. The customer can use a system and provide us with feedback. We then implement changes and enhance the system as part of second development cycle.

If we were using a different tool, it would take us maybe three months to deliver a development cycle. With APEX, we're able to deliver in less than a month.

What is most valuable?

What I find the most valuable about Oracle APEX is that it is very fast.

Prior to Oracle APEX, we were using Oracle Developer/2000, or D2K for short. It's another RAD. RAD refers to rapid application development tool. These two tools are quite similar. So, they are very easy for us to migrate.

That's why we choose Oracle APEX. It is a very powerful tool. It has a lot of function and a lot of features that were not available in D2K. D2K is not available on mobile, for example. Oracle APEX is very convenient.

What needs improvement?

1. Need more backup options, such as more than 25 backups, option for choosing what conditions to trigger the backup action, etc.

2. If APEX could add the workflow engine feature, that will be awesome.

3. If there could be a kind of chart to make the link graphics between the parent nodes and the child nodes, (currently there is a Tree feature), but sometimes the hierarchy is not only one-to-many, could be many-to-one, or many-to-many.

4. More mobile-friendly UI features will make APEX more powerful and engaging.

I have been using this solution since 2015.

We do not use Oracle paid support. We use community support.

The Oracle Community is not paid support but it is very powerful. It's a great community, made up of very intelligent and enthusiastic people.

I consider the initial setup simple compared to other technology.

What other advice do I have?

Oracle APEX significantly reduces the effort that needs to be put into development, allowing us to focus more on system analysis.

20.2
More Oracle Application Express (APEX) reviews from users
...who work at a Government
...who compared it with Microsoft PowerApps
Learn what your peers think about Oracle Application Express (APEX). Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: August 2021.
533,285 professionals have used our research since 2012.