Oracle Application Testing Suite Review

What is most valuable?

Importing a RUEI log into OATS to convert it into a load test

How has it helped my organization?

For a few years, OATS was the only tool that allowed us to load test our Computer Telephone Integration (CTI) with Siebel.

What needs improvement?

Our team is a contractor for a Siebel call center solution for the US government. Using Seibel means we are mostly an Oracle shop, but most of our test tools are HP. The one exception to that is OATS, which was formerly owned by Empirix when it was called eTester and eLoad. OATS has some promising features that frankly we wish we could utilize, but so far we haven’t had much luck doing so. Previously we did use it as a way of load testing the Computer Telephone Integration (CTI) aspect of Siebel. Even this needed to have custom Java code to implement though, and now that LoadRunner 11.5x is released, it can support our CTI load testing efforts as well, so we’ve gone away from using OATS for this.

2 years off and on.

Nothing significant.

Not up to 300 vusers, though this is not a large amount.

We use Loadrunner for all other load testing, but used OATS and Open Script just for CTI load testing.

Straightforward for initial setup, but complex for what we wanted to do. OATS runs as a suite hosted on a web server, so users access the test management piece via a URL. Scripting is done via Oracle’s OpenScript, which is their scripting development environment with Java, so being able to program in Java is probably the most important skill to have for using the tool.

Directly from Oracle.

We researched if this could be done in Loadrunner first.

What other advice do I have?

Be sure your team has the right amount of expertise in OpenScript (Java) before deciding to use this product.