Oracle Application Testing Suite Review

The scripts are written in Java, so migration from C to Java accelerated and simplified script development. However, the load testing API wasn't rich.

Valuable Features

The best feature of this and Load Test is simplicity. They are probably not as functional as the corresponding HP products, but you can start using them immediately after installation. Script development platform is based on Eclipse IDE and was much better and stable than LoadRunner VUGen 11.5 and earlier versions.

Load Test has perfect monitoring features. It fully supports JMX (we were able to monitor WebLogic internals in a couple of clicks), modern SNMP versions, flexible custom metrics, etc. We didn’t have any problems with collecting data we wanted from Windows, Linux, Solaris machines, and that’s really great. I can’t compare it with HP SiteScope (don’t have much experience with it), but it definitely beats standalone HP LoadRunner facilities.

I also liked the web interface of the Load Test controller. It supports remote test execution and provides quite convenient API. You don’t have to use separate solution as Performance Center or LoadRunner Analysis to create test reports and provide remote access to your test artifacts.

Improvements to My Organization

The scripts are written in Java, so migration from C (used in our LoadRunner scripts) to Java significantly accelerated and simplified script development. We have also managed to monitor our infrastructure more precisely.

Load Test provides great facilities and templates to monitor other Oracle products and create simpler scripts to automate load test pipeline. You load the script into Load Test, run the test, and generate the report.

Room for Improvement

I’m not sure about the functional testing API, but the load testing one wasn’t rich. We had to extend it by adding lots of functions, but it can be easily done. Transaction handling was very simple and I’d say quite primitive. We were unable to pause, dynamically create them and change their state, such as transaction name and other properties.

API was convenient but too poor, but I know that Oracle has extended it. Reporting features were very simple as well, especially report templates.

Use of Solution

We've used it for about a year. We’ve migrated our scripts and related test automation (e.g. report generation) successfully. It wasn’t perfect. We had to migrate our HP LoadRunner 11.5 scripts to Oracle Linux Test, and we had to do a lot of manual work to add features missing in it, such as writing custom functions in scripts, calculate target metrics with SQL on its database, etc. Though it was mostly stable and reliable, Test Management wasn’t. However, things may have changed in updated versions.

As far as I remember, we had lots of issues with Test Management stability, but the recent version are stable. We had several issues with Load Test monitoring, but were quickly fixed by Load Test developers.

It's excellent. We usually got help in a couple of days (hours in critical situations). The Load Test team frequently asked for feedback from our managers and included our suggestions into releases.

We tried a lot of solutions and used HP LoadRunner for six to seven years before switching. When Oracle Application Test Suite became ready for enterprise usage and met our needs, we started to use it, partially because it’s free for usage with other Oracle products.

It was really simple. The installation package can do everything for you (install WebLogic and Oracle XE) or you can customize the process. Anyway installation process is very transparent and flexible.

Implementation Team

We did it ourselves with a little assistance from the development team. The documents are a good starting point so almost all of the questions can be addressed after reading the manual.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

It was completely free for us, because we use it with other Oracle products.

Other Advice

It is a simple yet useful tool for performance testing. Compared with LoadRunner, it’s definitely less functional. I’d recommend you to try their free (development) version to understand what it does and does not.