Oracle Application Testing Suite Review

Test cases and defects are now tracked well in Oracle Test Manager, but Windows 2012 R2 server, deployment is a little bit tricky as .NET Framework 3.5 is not a part of OS distribution.

What is most valuable?

Robustness of Oracle Application Testing Suite to manage end-to-end testing of projects, especially in Oracle ERP implementation projects.

Oracle Application Testing Suite is very good for managing testing through Oracle Test Manager (OTM), automating test cases with Oracle Functional Test (OFT) and conducting performance testing in Oracle Load Test (OLT).

How has it helped my organization?

Implementation of Oracle Application Testing Suite package has increased the overall efficiency. Test cases and defects are now tracked well in Oracle Test Manager which help management to have better visibility and traceability. Increasing automation coverage has been reducing manual efforts in executing test cases and in a recent test cycle automated execution, it saved seven days of manual execution effort in a two-week test cycle.

What needs improvement?

OTM Test Report – We needed to develop custom reports as there is less flexibility.

OFT Support for Non Oracle ERP/CRM Product – As of now OFT supports only Oracle ERP/CRM Products. OFT has to support other vendor’s ERP/CRM packages to increase its base.

I've used it for over five years.

In Windows 7 and in Windows 2008 R2 server deployment is very straight forward. In Windows 2012 R2 server, deployment is a little bit tricky as .NET Framework 3.5 is not a part of OS distribution. One has to separately install it. You have to take care of this before going for installation in 2012 R2 Server. For Linux/Unix deployment you have to be well aware of Unix/Linux OS environment and you need database administration knowledge/support.

No issues encountered.

No issues encountered.

It's good, 7/10.

It's good, 7/10.

We switched because of lower licensing costs and it has good support for Oracle ERP/CRM.

It wasn't complex.

We implemented it in-house. Though the initial set up is not very complex, implementation should be done by resources who have good experience in Oracle Application Testing Suite and have a testing background. Database administration knowledge or support is also required.

I don't have specifics, but the product is cheaper than similar products from HP UFT and Quality Center.

What other advice do I have?

Oracle Application Testing Suite is best suited for managing testing activities in implementation and upgrade project for Oracle’s ERP/CRM products.