Oracle Autonomous Data Warehouse Review

Saves time by allowing me to simply load my data and go

What is our primary use case?

We evaluated Oracle Autonomous Data Warehouse for use in a client project. We were among the first to try out this solution.

How has it helped my organization?

I was able to set up a data warehouse very quickly. For a pilot project, I didn't want to get into a complicated scenario of determining indexes and partition strategies. I just wanted to load my data and go. Oracle ADW worked very well in this regard.

What is most valuable?

I loved the simplicity of loading the data and simply relying on the self-tuning capabilities of ADW.

What needs improvement?

Existing Oracle customers interested in the Autonomous Data Warehouse should know that this is a different experience than the classic Oracle DB Enterprise Edition. Yes, this is a database capable of running an entire enterprise, with unparalleled performance, available disaster recovery, and cutting-edge analytics. But the analytics come with new Notebook technology to code collaboratively with the rest of your team, not the classic data miner GUI interface. Don't expect to tune your queries with various indexes and fancy partitioning strategies. The system is designed to run on autopilot, not be carefully controlled and highly tuned. And, due to security limitations, neither the powerful GUI development environment Application Express (yet?) nor Oracle R Enterprise are not available. Hopefully these features can be added in a future release and the system can be accessed more easily without compromising the database's security.

I have previously built Oracle databases. I wanted to try out the autonomous database to save on database setup time.

I would recommend to fully utilize Oracle's trial service. It's a good way to try it out first.

What other advice do I have?

Be aware that you still have to define your "schema". You still define the columns in each table. This is a necessary step. It would be great if Oracle added a wizard that takes data and "figures out" what the column names are (e.g. perhaps noticing that Boston, Los Angeles, New York could be a CITY column). This would be in line with making it "autonomous".  Maybe it's there and I don't know how to make that happen.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: My company is a customer of Oracle and also an Oracle Partner.
1 Comment
author avatarDan Vlamis
TOP 10Real User

For any lurkers here following this, you should know that ADW has some improvements over the summer, including Spatial and Graph capabilities (see the separate offering Spatial Studio) and Application Express is now supported on ADW. As well, there's a SQL Developer on the Web interface that is now being deploying that offers a complete development package similar to what you would expect in a Windows thick-client interface, but with an interface that runs in the browser.